06 November 2008

It's Birthday Time In Parklands

Reader Bean Counter writes:

As you know I've been monitoring Remax's inventory for some time now, and the following Parklands McMansions are celebrating their first birthday on the site - for sale since 5 November 2007 (at least - some of them may have been on the market from before I started monitoring).

The lucky 1st birthday losers are as follows (ref number):

300129425 - reduced price from R2.2 million to R1.97 million in July, but it hasn't helped
300124769 - reduced from R1.99 million to R1.59 million in July.
300053213 - no reduction, no action.
300145659 - no reduction, no action.
300126745 - no reduction, no action.
300057755 - this beaut actually raised his price from R1.78 million to R1.85 million in February - yeah, that's really going to help it sell.
300132504 - no reduction, no action.
300147733 - no reduction, no action.
300134038 - no reduction, no action.
And finally, this one - 300114217 - who raised from R749,000 to R760,000 in May - roughly what you'd have to pay me to live in this deeply depressing little piece of sandblown hell.


Thanks for the info BC!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rawson says Cape Town is 20% down. So I reckon price your house 30% down and you stand a chance of grabbing one of the few buyers around - only one of these sellers is anywhere close. There is one at 20% down so maybe, if he accepts an offer of a further 10% off, he may be in with a chance. The others will remain unsold or just chase the market down. To sell in a crash you have to drop more than the crowd.

Carl said...

lol @ "deeply depressing little piece of sandblown hell."

I fully agree. I worked in parklands for about a year. I commuted from the city bowl, everyday shaking my head in amazement at the thousands of commuters who live in parklands and work elsewhere.

The traffic going from parklands to the city is a joke. thousands of cars fighting for space in tiny residential roads. Why would people buy there? is it the proximity of the squatter camp?, the acres of paving without any greenery. the sand? the traffic? the lovely smell of the refinery?

That place will suck the soul out of the best of us.

CT Bubble said...

Carl: It got my vote for Worst Suburb In Cape Town.

Anonymous said...

Parklands might not be ideal but its the cheapest suburb near the city center if compared to the mad prices being charged in the southern suburbs and atlantic seaboard.

Table View/blouberg/Parklnads is not such a bad place to stay considering its by the coast, is self contained annd all.

Parklands main road is a slum but you can get good quality homes in table view, westbeach and bloubergstrand.

the development of parklands started with good intentions but the greedy town council released too much land in one shot causing prices to dnot go up and resulting in landlords having to fill their places with nigerians and congolese and the rest.

Carl said...

@Anonymous

I agree that there are some ok places to stay in the area, but the Parklands I'm talking about is Parklands proper. The thousands and thousands of identical soulless townhouses and flats.

I'm not refering table view or blouberg, at least you have some seafront there.

Guru said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I use to rent in Parklands last year. What a nightmare! Stupid greedy council gave all the land away and approved all the developments but kept the infrastructure (roads) the same!!!

It use to take me 20-25 mins to get from Parklands Main Road to The Paddocks (Royal Ascot). Traffic is a nightmare.

As well, I was somewhat ashamed of living in Parklands (due to main road with all its pee-pool). With all due respect, but with all the afro queens and kings roaming the streets all day and all night (yes, I've seen them like 3am talking on the main road), it really makes the area seem like a cheap wanna-be area!!!

I have subsequently moved to Royal Ascot (and I save 30 mins in traffic everyday - including peace of mind for my safety).
I work with 3-4 people currently who live in Parklands and they tell everyone they either live in Blouberg or Table View!

Parklands is a dump!!! I bought a place in Royal Ascot last year. I could have bought the same size for R100k less... but its all about location!!!