26 November 2007

Why I'm Not Planning On Buying In A New Development

I've talked before on this blog about the level of worksmanship taking a serious decline in new developments due to a number of reasons
  • Limited number of skilled builders
  • Developments go up as quickly as possible = rush jobs
  • Developers love to cut corners
And heres's some proof from this Facebook group, Faircape Victims, started by none other than Cape Town Tourism's ex CEO Sheryl Ozinsky:
I purchased a new property from Faircape Property Developers. This was the first time that I had bought from a developer. There were loads of snags which for the most part were repaired. More recently, I had to get an engineer in to inspect the large cracks that had developed in my apartment and others. The engineer was brought back a few months later when my travertine tiles started to pop. Both snags were due to building omissions. Faircape have agreed that the snags are their responsibility but will only settle 50% of the costs. What has your experience been like with Faircape? I hope better than mine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

stick to relevant topics, this forum is about the inflated cost of capital and the return on it in the Cape Market. This article is irrelevant to this forum.

Anonymous said...

Do I smell vested interests, Anonymous? I think if you try very hard, and look very carefully, you'll find that this is something called a "Blog", run by something called "a Blogger", and operated with the help of something called "freedom of speech". He can write about whatever the hell he feels like.

And as far as I can see, lousy building standards are entirely relevant - the whole point of a bubble is that people will buy anything, regardless of its worth. Since worth is tied to quality as well as supply and demand (loads of demand for tin shacks in Khayelitsha, but prices are still lagging) I think CT Bubble is well on target with this post.

CT Bubble, as a journalist I know a raw nerve touched when I see one - when you're pissing people off, it means you're doing your job right. Ten bucks says Anonymous is a developer connected to the dodgy dealings in the article, who's web trawler kicked your blog in his direction, and now he's peeved.

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,

This ain't a forum.

Hugs,
CT Bubble

Anonymous said...

when the public can comment on a topic it is a forum you idiot. and me - analyst in UK waiting to buy in SA when the bubble pops.