29 May 2007

SA Property Price Index Graph

In the comments to a story over at Moneyweb someone posted SA residential real estate index data. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the data but the graph I created does reflect past growths and declines.



That run up since 2001 is looking mighty scary. It's also interesting to note that the index only grows by compounded annualised return of 1.72%. So much for property being a great investment.

Update

Compare that graph to this graph depicting the US housing market index (which is currently melting down).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work CT - I will repeat what I said at Moneyweb for the sake of your readers - my first observations are that in the last 40 years the highest real price of SA houses was in 1983 at 154... that is until 2004 - the new high is now 24% higher than any other time in the last 40 years.

Back then the price had gone up 85% from the low 5 years earlier.

Now the price has gone up 162% from the low 8 years earlier.

Back then after a 85% rise it dropped 45% over the next 4 years in real terms.

Today, after a 162% rise ( almost double the previous one) how much will the drop be ? 70% - 80% in real terms doesn't look unfair to me - with inflation of 30% over 4 or 5 years, we will be looking at an actual drop of 40% - 50%.

That pretty much fits in with what I am predicting for the US and UK - so here we have it, the bloody glove - it is going to happen in SA too ... ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case....

Anonymous said...

I'm from South Africa, currently living in California.
I agree with you cj. We are seeing exactly the same trend here in California. I know this as I am trying to sell my house.
South Africa will go through the same process. Only I think it will be worse, due to the higher expense of credit.

Anonymous said...

There is a remarkable similarity between the US chart and the SA chart over the same time frame - as this is the case, we can safely assume that when the US house prices dive, as they are starting to do now, SA will do likewise.